History of the Tavern, starting in 1938
It all started in 1938 when a local farmer by the name of Phillip Faeth purchased the property and built the first cabin. It was like many other country taverns of its time, selling beer and soft drinks along with sandwiches and snacks. Phillip also operated one glass gas pump for the Sinclair chain of gas stations and was thought to be the oldest gas station operator in the U.S. at that time. He had a large family and many of their descendants come in today and talk about what it was like to visit the cabin when they were small children. He operated it until retiring in 1966.
Then to now
The business was purchased and sold several times until March of 2014 when Glenn “Rusty” and Suzanne Hunter purchased it. The building had been closed for 6 years when they took ownership and was in need of major TLC.
At first, the idea was to bring it back to the local country tavern that it had been for many years, but there was something that was missing. Rusty’s vision was for it to be a full service family restaurant with more to offer than it just being a bar. Remodeling and additions were made to the existing property to make it the Diamond in the Country once more.